Fun Fact: Butter chicken, also known asmurgh makhani originates from northern India, created by Kundan Lal Gujral in 1948. This healthier version uses less butter and cashew cream in place of dairy cream.
- 4 tbsps oil (Avocado, Rice Bran, Olive)
- 1 1/2 lb skinless chicken breasts or thighs – cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 tbsps ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps grass–fed or organic butter
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes – no salt added
- 1 cup passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1/2 – 1 cup cashew cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (skip this and add more cashew cream to make recipe non-dairy)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, ginger until soft and fragrant (do not brown). Stir in butter, lemon juice and spices. Cook, stirring for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce cooking for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in yogurt and cashew cream (to desired consistency (if you like it creamier use more cashew cream, if less, then use less)
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often
- Add reserved chicken to sauce and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicken has cooked through.
- Taste and add seasonings as needed.
Serve with Naan or over steamed rice.
Make the dish as mild or spicy as you’d like by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper
Here’s a link on how to make the cashew cream: https://naturallyella.com/cashew-cream/
Healthy Butter Chicken